The headline feature of this new playtest is the addition of Lua scripting for maps, which allows anybody to create scripted missions or game modes without touching any C# engine code. Any maps added to our content site will be downloaded when joining a server, which makes it easy to share your creations with others.
We have made the tough decision to delay the previously announced IRC and translation features into a later release. This will allow us to focus our efforts on getting the next release out within the next couple of weeks.
The main improvements over our stable september release are now:
- Added support for Lua scripting in maps.
- Added remakes of the first two Allied missions to RA (using our new scripting system).
- Additional UI polishing, including a new settings menu, overhauled chat, and improved hotkey support.
- Additional ingame polish, including new infantry animations, move-flashes, and improved to pixel-doubling.
- Added options for always displaying health bars, and alternative DOTA-style bar colors.
- Improvements to RA include production acceleration, the base radius from C&C, and the M.A.D Tank!
- C&C (now renamed to Tiberian Dawn) receives a new Airstrike, new sound and weapon effects, and a remake of the popular Haos Ridges map.
As usual, the changelog contains all the details, including a list of changes that affect maps and mods. If you run into any issues or have any feedback then you can create a ticket on our Github issue tracker or find us on IRC.