Our September release is another huge jump, with over 1,100 changes and improvements by 17 authors.
The headline changes in this build are:
- Refined Fog of War behavior (buildings and ore/tiberium/spice are now frozen as they were last seen).
- Added game options for starting units, starting cash, team construction, shroud, fog of war.
- Reworked engineer behavior - C&C again uses the “classic” behavior, and RA/D2K external (C&C Generals style) capturing.
- Overhauled firing, projectile, and explosion effects for all mods.
- Native support for the D2K game files, significantly improving the artwork and sound quality.
- Fixed windows installer problems.
- A lot more bug, crash, and performance fixes.
Please note that OpenRA now requires GPU support for framebuffer objects. This should not be a problem for most computers manufactured in the last 5-7 years, but some older high-end GPUs may not work from this release onward.
The full list of changes is far too large to include here, so we recommend clicking through to the human-optimized changelog or full list of commits. If you’d like to get involved, the best point of contact is our IRC channel #openra (webchat).
This release also adds beta support for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 assets. Work has started on an official Tiberian Sun mod, but we don’t expect this to be ready for several more months. In the meantime, modders can take advantage of the new voxel and shp(ts) support in their own projects.
We have also taken this time to overhaul our website. It’s hot off the virtual press, so please let us know if you spot any typos or rendering glitches.