Welcome Back, Commander
OpenRA is a Libre/Free Real Time Strategy project that recreates the classic Command & Conquer titles.
We include recreations of C&C (Tiberian Dawn), C&C: Red Alert, and Dune 2000. These are not intended to be perfect copies, but instead combine the classic gameplay of the originals with modern improvements such as unit veterancy and the fog of war.
OpenRA's primary focus is cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, OS X, and Linux; however, we include a number of single-player missions, and also support skirmish games against AI bots.
Posted by Paul Chote at 2014-07-22 22:00 +1200
We are pleased to announce the availability of our July release, which includes 619 commits by 27 contributors.
The feature list remains the same as for our July playtests, but this release benefits from additional testing and bugfixes. The main new features are:
- The RA and TD game music can now be downloaded and installed from the in-game music player.
- Capturing enemy structures in RA and TD will now let you build units from their faction.
- The maximum tech level can be configured in the lobby options.
Other notable improvements include:
- Fixed a number of crashes that were introduced in the last release.
- Fixed issues that occurred when installing from CD.
- Improved performance and memory usage.
- Improved scroll-panel behaviour.
- Added an option to lock the mouse cursor inside the game window.
- Multiple players can now repair a building at an accelerated rate.
- Added engine support for diamond-shaped (“isometric”) terrain (an important milestone for our TS mod).
Capturing enemy structures in TD and RA will now allow you to produce their units.
OpenRA can now download the game music for RA and TD.
Tech levels can be configured in the lobby options for all mods.
Development is progressing well on our Tiberian Sun mod, but it is still several months away from a release.